Monday, October 22, 2007

The C Word (not that one - get your mind out of the gutter)

I had to take my middle son T to traffic court on Friday. Legally, being 18, he didn't need me. But I'm a lawyer and his mommy so I went. We sort of enjoyed watching the parade of defendants before us (we were the last case heard). I was amazed at how many people say they had to drive 80 miles an hour in a 55 mile an hour zone because they were unfamiliar with the area. It amused us both and required that the bailiff shush us a couple of times. The result was perfect - traffic school followed by a dismissal of all charges. We left the courthouse in a very good mood, chatting annd laughing in a way that doesn't happen all that often between me and that particular child.



On the way to the courthouse T had been trying to explain to me that, for him, Virginia is cursed. He claims that every time something good happens to him here it is immediately followed up by something ten times worse. I don't think Virginia itself is cursed but Friday certainly followed that pattern.



After court, we went downtown to my office, our plan was for T to help me move some boxes and then to go to lunch somewhere away from the house where he hadn't been before. Mom and son bonding.



We called PC on the way to give him the good court results and he interrupted me to say he'd received the results of the MRI he'd had the day before on his knee. (The results were not supposed to be availabe for two weeks.) All indications are that PC has a very large cancerous mass on his leg. Possible diagnosis are sarcoma and nerve sheath tumor. I'm not sure what we did in the world before google. There are only two Navy Orthopedic Oncologists on the East Coast and they are both deployed so we'll find out today whether he'll be going to Richmond (two hours north) or Duke (around three hours south) for his treatments. The treatment will be radiation and/or chemotherapy to shrink the tumor followed by surgery. There are two schools of thought on whether or not they'll biopsy first - one school of thought is that the rapid growth (it has been eight weeks at the most since he noticed it and it is about the size of half of a brick) indicates it is cancerous and it should not be messed with at all until the surgery; the other school of though it that a needle biopsy won't disturb it. The only good thing about this tumor is that it appears to be "well-circumscribed" so I'm for not messing with it.



PC is the kind of person who simply puts something bad out of his mind. He left for work before dark where he no doubt did his daily two hour workout. He says this is going to be fine although the rehab will be "a pain." He thinks if his treatment is in Richmond he'll just drive himself up there two or three times a week. If its at Duke he'll stay with his brother. No big deal. Except for all his googling I don't think he gets what radiation and/or chemotherapy can do. Superman is about to run into Kryptonite.



And then there's me. I am the type of person who must think through the worst option all the way to its bitter end. All the way through. Its how I deal with things. They hardly ever turn out as bad as I've imagined and that's a comfort. Except for the times that they do...

Edited at 11:34 p.m. to add: Today the efficient Navy medical machine was able to get PC a consult in DC for NOVEMBER. Excuse me - what do they need, a whole brick. I've been madly googling looking for an Orthopedic Oncologist who accepts Tricare (PC, as an active duty military person is not allowed to leave the network of Tricare physicians). I found ONE. Granted, I was only looking in our Tricare region (the North region which doesn't make much sense but I didn't draw the boundaries). His doctor has calls in to two other doctors who haven't called back. WTF. His referral uses words like "urgent" and "paramount." But he can't get an appointment.

Oh yeah, and this type of cancer... it often comes from exposure to radiation. All those years he spent repairing nuclear subs don't appear to have done much for him. But he was defending our country... keep your flags waiving. Mine is beginning to droop.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way that someone gets him in soon. Can you call the December doc's receptionist and ask to be on a waiting list? Sometimes they'll do that if you can get there in under an hour for a last-minute appointment. Hopefully he will be seen soon and the news will be hopeful.

Lawyer Mama said...

Well, I hardly know what to say. But then I've managed to say an awful lot in the last 5 days anyway.

You know I'll be here for both of you.

The wait for the appointment makes me want to scream. You know I've gone through this nightmare with Hollis. But, JHC! With CANCER you'd think they could squeeze him the fuck in, already!

Violet said...

I found your blog from Lawyer Mama and I just wanted to tell you that you're in my thoughts-all of you. I hope there's some way to get an earlier appt.

joker the lurcher said...

the very best of luck with all this. it must be so scary.

jessabean said...

So sorry you're going through this! From my experience Tricare is a royal pain in the ass. I hope you get an appt soon. You're in my thoughts and I'll be rooting for you from blog-land.

Sunshine said...

Lawyer Mama sent me, please know that you are in my thoughts. My hubby was a grunt in the Army (and was going to be career until he met me and changed his mind) but, fair or not, I pretty much put people in the military on a higher pedestal than the rest of us schmucks. I hope things are positive and good and best-hoped-for in this scary scenario. Thank him for his service, I certainly appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to him and you.

I'll keep you both in my prayers tonight.

CPA Mom said...

you are all in our prayers. (((((HUGS)))))

CPA Mom said...

Just an observation though...and I'd be the first to criticize the Navy medical system as I've "been there, done that" - apparently, Orthopaedic oncologists are rare, very, very rare, in the navy. As in maybe 8 in the whole nation?! Hang in there....I know it's hard but I do know the navy personnel are working very, very hard on getting your husband seen as soon as possible. No one is ignoring the "urgent" consult tag - they are just in a bind trying to find someone, anyone....the deployments really put a wrench in the whole thing....but on a personal level, I'd be furious as well...makes you wish they would let you leave the Tricare system and find a local oncologist! Oh, this is so hard for everyone involved. Again, PRAYERS for you...

Anonymous said...

Via LawyerMama, offering more prayers through the blogosphere. I think there's something to it!

Anonymous said...

I was reading Lawyer Mama's page and decided to come to your page and I just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers and well wishes to your family. P/S: Tricare needs to be revamped! I have it too and sometimes it just sucks!!

Julie Pippert said...

Here with some more support. Hope you get a TIMELY appointment and hope all is okay.

Julie
Using My Words

Anonymous said...

Hi. It shouldn't have taken LM's post to get me back here. I've been pretty absent from blog reading lately b/c of the book project, but it's no excuse.

Which is my long-winded way of saying I'm here and I'm thinking of you. I love a man who doesn't let a little thing like cancer get in the way.